Precious in His sight

Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Name:
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Monday, December 26, 2005

A summary of 2005

Some time ago, I decided that I would write a testimony at the end of each year. When I look back at what I wrote for 2004, I was quite amazed at how much certain things have changed and how much God has taught me.

And so, only 5 days left before the end of 2005…

2005 was quite an experience. It is probably the most volatile year for me in the past 2 decades. An economist might compare it to the value of the Australian Dollar – never certain and constantly fluctuating (At least I learnt something in my Economics major!). Some highlights of the year are:

M’sia

The year kicked off with a trip back to Malaysia. I got to meet up with most of my primary & high school friends. Nearly everyone I met told me how I have not changed since ‘ancient times’. I suppose I don’t embrace changes very well and I am also not the kind of person who will be under any pressure to change - feeling rather comfortable in my own skin. Unlike a few years ago, it was not quite possible to have one big reunion with everyone. Most of us have either moved out of the area where we grew up in while others have their differences. It is quite sad to see that things will turn out to be this; nevertheless, spending time with smaller groups is more personal. However, it was encouraging to see some of my Christian friends still faithful after all these years.

Three 2 One & the Future

I started the year off with 3 different jobs but soon realise that it was just too much. So I had to say goodbye to the ReViVe group from POW Hospital. I miss the team of volunteers and also being able to spend time with the elderly patients. Yet, all the training and experience from ReViVe is invaluable. I also cut down considerably my availability for babysitting. I am always happier and excited when going to the hospital or babysitting; more so than working in an office.
Most people who know me would know that my passion does not lie in accounting and economics. Late last year I felt a really strong desire to take a complete turn in my career sometime in the future. God willing and combining everything that I have learnt with lots of hard work now, I can actually start up a child care centre. That way, I can still apply my accounting and economics skills, my basic knowledge of caring for the unwell; and at the same time work with kids!

However, something that happened back in October taught me that I need to be very careful not to get too carried away with my own plans and so be blinded by what God has in store for me. After all, “in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose”. Keith Green’s song expresses this so well…

You love the Lord and it seems like He's been leading,
You've asked Him to bless all your plans.
But are you so sure you're just doing what you want to,
Building your house on the sand, the sand.
Unless The Lord Builds the House, Keith Green ©
Ppl come n’ go

Michelle left for Africa earlier this year; Daz went overseas and four others left work. It was especially hard to part with Michelle and Daz. Michelle’s got this charisma and a love for the elderly that I just admire! As for Dazza and I, we’ve just had some great times together. From being gym buddies in high school, bushwalking companion, a tutor, to someone I trust fully and am comfortable talking to. We spent a long time just chatting before he jetted off to another country for who knows how long, and not leaving a trace behind. Ever since he left for Canada, my mind has been constantly wondering if things are okay for him. Guess I would just have to keep praying for him and his family.


KidsGames - Faith like a child & humbleness

KidsGames probably stands out more than anything else that has happened this year. One of the songs I really like by Jars of Clay is “Faith like a Child”. For years now, I’ve sung along rather blindly whenever the song is played. However, it was only during KidsGames this year that I truly embrace the whole concept of this child-like faith. Two kids in particular taught me a great deal, and one of them is only 5 years old.

In the past two years, I was given the privilege of co-leading a team of lovely people to run KidsGames. It was a challenge to me especially being at the age I am and also being a female. God opened my eyes to see the importance of being humble in all that I do. 1 Peter 5:6 says Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you…” I also found it extremely hard leading over the males simply because I believe that the males should be the main leader. For this reason, I have decided that I don’t want to continue being the main person making decisions and the planning, but to just provide whatever support that is needed.