Precious in His sight

Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Name:
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What's important?

How important something or someone is can be measured by how often we think about it.

It surprises me that so often (and always subconsciously) random people will just pop into my mind. There are some things and some people you know are very dear to you. You know that God is real in your life when in everything you do, think and say... you feel His guidance. Knowing His words and understanding God's character gives us the strength and wisdom to get through each day, and not submitting to the ways of this world.

And there are those who you can't help but wonder each day if they are safe.

Every so often, I will think back to the good old days when Al, Sim Yee & I do the silliest things. We will pour powder all over our marble flooring in Malaysia and ice skate, put on mum's makeup and high heels, pretend to buy groceries and do the banking with Monopoly money; the list is endless! I miss those times when we don't have to worry about anything (except to come up with an explanation as to why the floor is so slippery or why the glass is broken).

The first year we arrived in Sydney, I was so homesick I use to spend at least 2 hours/day writing letters to my friends in M'sia. I still have a full box of letters that I haven't unpacked since we moved to the new place. As time passed by, everyone got busier and we stopped writing. What truly surprise me is how often I still think about them (us). Some conversations are so fresh in my mind it feels almost like yesterday. Cikgu Salleh's tuition, Coral & I sleeping through history lessons, the 10 of us gathering around Cath & Mag's table to talk about everything and anything, the guys and their little accident (blowing up the thermometer in the science lab), Sharyl, FM, Yuen & I cycling to Pn Soon's pl for tuition, playing "pen", "coconut stall"... Part of me will always belong in M'sia - "negaraku"

Then there are the high school days. Serena was there from the first day in LGHS. LGHS taught me to be more street wise, to withstand peer pressure and to see that some people are really not as tough as they look and opens my eyes to see how much they need God. A year later I left for Hurlstone. Here I met some pretty bizzare and cool people, experienced the farm - cows & chicken everywhere, had the most memorable birthday in 2001 and had some great times bushwalking with the Duke of Ed gang.

Overall, my memories of school, both in Malaysia and Australia has been 'sweet'. I am very blessed to be able to experience both worlds and to develop so many great relationships over the years.

The girls in church have been a huge source of encouragement. We've done some pretty crazy things together - Like the shaving cream fight, our knitting frenzy, scavenger hunt, long drives... What's more important is that they teach faithfully from God's word and are constantly encouraging and building each other up.

Even at work both old and new, I am so blessed to have bosses that treats me well, cares for my welfare and is patient with me...

I am so richly blessed... IT IS NOT FUNNY! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home