I love the Solomon Islands. So much that I dreamt of it almost every night since I got back. Last night I saw how amazing sunset was on the horizon of Guadalcanal Island... and when I woke up to reality, in an instant I felt tired and demotivated again.
It was eye opening seeing the way people lived there. Life is so simple, just the way I have always hoped life would be. A pack of Arnotts biscuit that we take for granted, absolutely delighted them. The little child in the village had a piece of string and 2 stones which he played with the whole afternoon, content and happy.
Perhaps I have not seen enough of the place to find any fault in it. Or perhaps I just like being unknown to everyone and completely disconnected from the world? Yes, I was slightly worried when I found out that both my phone and the Internet did not work. But it turned out to be a real blessing as I find time to be alone, and once again to reintroduce myself to people I have never met. One of the things that really got me is how much slower things are over there. People have time for each other. They genuinely want to know about you... It is not as simple as a "Hello, how are you?" - And move on. I felt like a total 'dud-head' (whatever that means) when I saw how much our hustle and bustle in life has robbed us of our time.

As time marches on in life (Geez, sounding old already!), I don't feel the need to be surrounded by people I know all the time. There are times when I think it is absolutely okay to be having breakfast alone while watching the sunrise; or to watch the waves rush in and out of the ocean; or to come back to an empty hotel room with 3 beds!
Well, I didn't just work, work and work while I was there. Saki took me out to his cousin's place to see the WW2 remains. It is quite funny to see so many war tanks in front of his house/village. They were the remains of the Japanese "amphibians" (because they go on water & land) from the fierce battle in the Pacific. A few of these tanks have now become 'pots' to the tress that have grown through them. It was a privilege sitting on a national history!
Juts like Arnie's famous words: "I'll be back", so will I say that regarding the Solomon Islands. A land of 990+ Islands, friendly people and simple & easygoing life. Anyone for some chill-out time away?
xoxoxox
3 Comments:
hehe, never bring me along wan so bad =p
:) You'll love the third-world country experience!! heheh
I'll be going a few times/year. Maybe you can fly yourself there one day?
one day, but ain't happening that soon =p
gotta see where fate takes me =)
Post a Comment
<< Home