Precious in His sight

Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Name:
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Solomons in August Day 3 – 090809

Given my current state of dryness in my spiritual life, I was actually very excited about going to church today. I made sure I had enough sleep, woke up early to have a cereal drink for breakfast, and caught a bus to the South Seas Evangelical Church (SSEC). When I say bus… I really mean a van. It is a great way of getting around town and there wasn’t a time when I had to wait more than 10 minutes.

In the bus

I arrived early. I was a little intimidating at first as I really do stand out among the crowd with my yellow skin & straight hair. Not long after I met a lady by the name of Agnes, her 2 daughters and Grace, a policewoman. She said I was lucky to come early as I would not be able to get a seat otherwise. And, I am talking about a church that can sit about 1,000 people!

Agnes, Valerie & Aroma

I look around me and see girls dressing up in skirts (below the knee of course), their best shirts and flowers in their hair. The Sunday school starts at 7am, and parents/kids alike wake up early to attend church. It is something they hold dearly. Some may be ‘religious’ but so far all the people I have met and spoken to are people who desire God and comes to church hungry for His word. Every week, the youth, different fellowship groups (from the different provinces/islands) take turns to serve in choir. There will also be an item from different group each week. Today, the youth was on choir and the Malaitan group performed. It was a real blessing to be part of their worship. Not only that they have amazing voices, they know the song by heart… And so, there was no need for a projector, or hymn books on every row. They simply sing. Adult & child alike! I knew a few of the songs but most of the time, I just stood there absorbing the wonderful praise & worship and praying.

As part of the service too, they have prayer time, Sunday school/missionary reports and lots of announcements! The sermon in the morning was from Genesis 2, 3 & Romans 5 on the Power of Choice. The sermon was in half pidgin and half English. I could work out what he was saying most off the time.

After church, I caught the bus back again and instead of going back to my room, I walked around the hotel. I came to the seaside and saw a bunch of kids ‘dangerously’ fishing on the coral rocks. I went up and started talking to them. We talked and we laughed. They asked me to join them on the rocks. I hesitated at first cause I was in skirt, slippers and I have to climb down some pretty crazy steps. In the end I gave up and decided to climb down anyway. They were a happy bunch of kids, fishing with a stick and a string. I can’t believe my eyes how clear the water is. I could literally see the fishes swim in the water and we sat there waiting for the fish to take the bait.

There was a girl named Bruce (Like kung fu Bruce). She managed to catch a fish before I arrived and proudly showed me her catch. The only problem was… Bruce was squishing the poor fish with her fingers like it is made out of plastic. I was disgusted and screamed everytime she puts it in front of my face. As she was laughing away with the fish, I managed to take a picture of her.

Bruce

It is by far one of my most treasured picture as everytime I look at it, I am reminded how much happier life is when we keep it simple! They have so little, yet they have so much!

Peter
Peter, one of the boys asked me to come along with the on a stroll… so off I go with Peter, Ben and Jay. They were only little kids. Peter is 16 and the other two are in primary school. Peter kept asking me if I am married and my room number. I told him it was a secret  I only took a short walk with them as goodness knows where these kids will take me; plus it doesn’t look too good with me walking around with these young boys. So, I said goodbye and left.

I didn’t know that they only served yum cha on Sunday @ Jina’s restaurant. When I walked in, I saw mainly Chinese in big family groups. It was strange as I have no idea where they came from. I am only use to seeing locals in Solomon Islands. Yum cha for one is very difficult – so I only ordered 2 things on the menu (It is the sort of yum cha you would never come back to)
. I went back for a snooze after lunch before waking up again for evening church. The booklet in the hotel says that the service is 4pm. I got to church at 3.30pm, only to discover that church starts @ 5pm! As I walked to the back of the church (where the water is), a whole bunch of kids were giggling at me. I went up to them and started talking, but all they did was laughed even harder! They probably thought: what a strange language. It only took 5 minutes before they felt comfortable with me.


We walked along the waters, some climbed up the trees. I called them little monkeys – they thought it was very funny. We then spent the next hour under a tree – asking me all sort of questions about Sydney, singing, playing Cas Cas (tip) & 5 stones, playing with my hair, taking photos, sitting on me and the little monkey was hanging off me everytime she has a chance. I had such a wonderful time with these kids. I told them I would bring some sort of book with pictures of life in Sydney the next time I come.
5 stones & Sharon's drawing

Eventhough I was 1½ hour early for evening church, I was late going into the service because I was having fun hanging out with the kids. The message at night was given my Jean Carson, an American visiting speaker. He gave a great message on: what isn’t a (wo)man of God (from Matthew 6), then moving on to give an example of what is a (wo)man of God, using the example of John Mark. It is interesting to see this character that was hardly mentioned. John Mark first appeared in the book of Acts as a helper to Paul & Barnabas. Later, we see that he deserted Paul & Barnabas during the journey. Paul clearly wasn’t impressed with John Mark as he returns to Jerusalem, and even more as Paul & Barnabas’ argument was centred around whether or not John Mark should be allowed to be with them on their missionary journey. But the interesting thing is that in 2 Timothy, in Paul’s days in prison, he asked to see John Mark because “he will be useful”. I guess Carson is trying to show is that God’s (wo)man isn’t necessarily someone ‘great’. John Mark was no great preacher, just a helper. He also deserted Paul & Barnabas (& God’s work); yet it was all in God’s plan for his Kingdom. Paul & Silas AND Barnabas & John Mark went to preach the gospel – twice the pace in the world. This is also the John Mark who wrote the Gospel, the book of Mark. There was restoration and purpose for each person. As I was leaving church that evening, I was stopped by Unity (my colleague, Delia’s in-law). We chatted for a while as she had heard I was coming to church (small town). Lovely lady. As I said goodbye, I was again stopped by a group of 4 boys – Steven, Joel, Gideon and Clint. They invited me to the youth group on Monday night (Bible study) and Wednesday night (Activities). I am excited about meeting my Solomon Islands brother and sisters in Christ. So I said “I might not make it in time on Monday but see you on Wed!” They have even offered to take me back to the hotel after Wednesday games night.

I came to the Solomons to be refreshed with God. I think I am. I was loved by God’s family – even when they did not know who I was. I was reminded how much Christ loves me when he died on that cross for me. It is grace which has saved me. Like John Mark… I can be restored. ‘Work’ in general has sucked the life out of me in Sydney. I am not referring only to my 9-6 job but other responsibilities in general. In all, I need to see my purpose for living. If I am living for God, then let it be that I work to serve Him, with joy & thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

Blogger wiLL said...

Wow...
Yeap. Just plain wow...
I wonder if i would have the luxury for such a get-away in disguise of work in the near future. But maybe i should consider being in Perlis a get-away itself, despite 'responsibilities' riding on my shoulder.

Well, time to resume my work and pray that they build a bridge from Malaysia to Australia or maybe Solomons!

(smiles and sigh at the same time)

Good Morning Jane.

5:27 am  
Blogger SFJ said...

Morning, William...

It had been a refreshing time away. It was Wow for me too seeing how little they have, but at the same time, how MUCH they had.

God spoke volumes to me.

I wish you can come for a 'time out' too!

6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home